Pages

Monday 8 June 2009

Long time no see!

Have been decorating rather a lot lately so not got out much. However, I did trek off to Alfreton the other day, a place I'd never stopped at apart from to go the the indoor bowls club and a nearby garden centre.

Quite a quick trip to get there, despite some roadworks, but found parking quite difficult as the signpost for the car park seemed to run out and I didn't know which way to turn! Anyway, eventually found a car parking space and paid my money. Alfreton turned out to be an interesting little place, with lots of independent shops, housed in interesting buildings.

Found a fabulous antique shop that had a clothes stall upstairs, so spent absolutely ages looking around trying to justify why I needed to buy so much stuff! Well, only ended up with a Portmeirion cup and a dress, so it wasn't too bad!

Had lunch in a lovely old building, Alfreton House, that now is home to various council offices, as well as Alfreton House Victorian Coffee Shop.

Was a bit disappointed that I found neither the tourist information office, nor a library, nor a museum nor an art gallery, so I missed out on a lot of the history of the town. Maybe next time ...

No comments: